Read Chapters 5, 6, and 7 (pgs. 27-48) of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
After reading the assigned pages, in complete sentences, answer the following questions:
From Chapter 5
1. What were Grandmother Henderson’s two commandments?
2. How did Grandmother Henderson handle the taunting of the powhitetrash girls?
From Chapter 6
1. Who was Reverend Howard Thomas? Was he liked by young Maya and Bailey? Why, or why not?
2. What was young Maya’s favorite book in the bible? Why?
3. Who was Sister Monroe? Describe a few of her church Sunday antics/incidents.
From Chapter 7
What was the gaffe the judge made?
Be prepared to present your answers and the Enrichment Activity (shown below) on Thursday, January 28th.
Blue Scholar, define the following words: quandary, abate, morose, obscure
Green Scholar, define the following words: inequity, aristocrat, incessant, ludicrous